Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Organic Growth


I've been reflecting on my use of point of view in my artwork lately- many, if not most of my pieces really take shape outward from the surface of the canvas, utilizing the 3D nature of the elements that I use.  It's only when I don't use them that the picture forms from the bottom of the canvas to the top, rather than outward.  I'm not sure exactly what that means, but the pieces that form outward from the surface, rather than up and down, offer to the viewer such interesting vantage points.  


This piece has so much movement- the different heights of the paper rolls, and the fact that they are so close together, make it seem as if more will appear from beneath the surface of the canvas as the others continue to grow.  It's as if I've captured the growth of this organism, city, landmass- whatever you want to call it- in the midst of a growth spurt.  


The combination of deliberately rolled and place paper pieces and the randomness of the wax and rust splatters show organization growing out of chaos.  It is in the middle of a transformation- from a collection of random elements to something complete and fully formed.  


1 comment:

  1. Wow- such a different perspective from the side view- really stunning canvas Anjuli! I', glad you have shown the different angles

    ReplyDelete